1) 65 countries in the world grow coffee. They are all along the
2) Coffee is not grown anywhere in the United States except
Puerto Rico and Hawaii.
3) In 1675 Charles II, King of England issued a proclamation
banning Coffee Houses. He said that they were places where
people met to plot against him.
4) 30% of coffee drinkers in US added a sweetener of some
kind to their coffee, compared with 57% in UK.
5) October 1st is official “Coffee Day” in Japan.
6) Scientists have discovered more than 800 different aromatic
compounds in coffee.
7) Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world (oil is the first.)
8) Brazil produces around 40% of the world’s coffee supply.
9) A Belgian named George Washington invented instant coffee in 1906.
10)Coffee has been used as a beverage for over 700 years.
11)Black coffee with no sugar contains no calories.
12)More than 20 million people worldwide, work in the coffee industry.
13)There are two species of coffee plant: Arabica and Robusta.
14)75% of the world’s coffee comes from the Coffea Arabica plant.
15)Drinking a single cup of coffee that has been brewing for 20 minutes
provides the body with 300 phytochemicals which act as antioxidants
and stay in the body for up to a month.
16)In days gone by, Turkish bridegroom had to promise that they would
always provide their new wives with coffee.
17)Espresso Coffee has just one third of the caffeine content of ordinary coffee.
18)Coffee beans are really berries. Each berry contains two beans (pips).
19)An expert in preparing Turkish coffee is known as a “kahveci”.
20)The Nicaraguan Margogpipe is the largest of all coffee beans.
21)It takes 40 coffee beans to make an espresso.
22)One coffee tree yields less than half a kilo of coffee per year.
23)A coffee tree lives for between 60 and 70 years.
24)Worldwide, more 1400 millions cups of coffee are drunk every day.
25)Caffeine, which is found in coffee, increases the effect of some painkillers,
especially aspirin and paracetamol.
Article by Louie Jerome
"Anytime Is Coffee Time!"